If you are thinking of getting a dog and wondering which breed would totally fit your house, then this is the right guide for you!
Generally speaking, there are three sizes of dogs, such as small, medium, and large. You would already know that by looking at a certain dog; however, there are many more definitive sizes, like teacups, toys, small dog breeds, average-sized dog breeds, and giant ones—yes, the sizes are quite a lot!
For you to understand it better, the following dog sizes are categorized by a particular weight.
Dog Size Chart
- Teacup dogs – are pretty tiny that weigh around 5 to fewer pounds.
- Toy dogs – are a little heavier than the teacup, weighing from 5 to 12 pounds.
- Small dogs – weigh from 12 to 24 pounds.
- Medium dogs – an average size that weighs from 24 to 59 pounds.
- Larger dogs – weigh from around 59 up to 99 pounds.
- Giant dogs – are also called extra-large dogs that weigh over 100 pounds.
Dog breeds and their standard sizes
Check out the following specific sizes of popular dog breeds around. Plus, a little trivia about them to help you further choose which one to get!
- Yorkshire Terriers – they usually have a height of 8 to 9 inches with less than 7 pounds of weight. Yorkies are found to be very adaptable to their environment, good travel buddies, and suitable as house dogs.
- Toy Poodle – they are less than 10 inches with a weight of 4 to 8 pounds. Poodles are quite elegant and intelligent, like Einstein kind of smart, but still perfect for family dogs despite their high IQ.
- Shih Tzu – they are about 8 to 11 inches with a weight of 6 to 16 pounds. Shih Tzu is known for being lively, alert, friendly, and trusting towards everyone, which makes them great household pets.
- Chihuahuas – they are about 6 to 9 inches with less than 6 pounds. Chihuahuas’ personality is similar to terriers.
- Pugs – they are around 10 to 11 inches and 14 to 18 pounds heavy. Pugs love to be near people and are a bit of a pleaser!
- Pomeranians – they are 8 to 11 inches long and weigh from 3 to 7 pounds. Pomeranians are also one of the very intelligent dog breeds.
- Miniature Pinschers – they are about 10 to 12.5 inches and are 8 to 10 pounds. Miniature Pinschers are known to be quick and active, with a lively curiosity.
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel – they are around 12 to 13 inches long and 13 to 18 pounds. This dog breed is friendly and easy to train. They generally thrive as part of a family.
- Maltese – their height is around 8 to 10 inches with 3 to 8 pounds. Maltese are one of the most gentle-mannered dogs and have a lot of energy. This dog breed is very playful, which makes them great family dogs.
- Bichon Frise – they are about 9 to 12 inches and have a weight of 7 to 11 pounds. Bichon Frise is known to be an elegant dog and good with families.
- Beagles – they are about 14 to 16 inches long and weigh 22 to 24 pounds. Beagles are lively, alert, friendly and trusting towards all, which makes them great household pets.
- Boston Terriers – they are around 15 to 17 inches and weigh from 10 to 25 pounds. This dog breed is easy to train and easy keepers. Boston Terriers generally prefer to remain by their owner’s side.
- Miniature Schnauzers – they are 12 to 14 inches long that weigh from 11 to 20 pounds. Miniature Schnauzers are quite smart, trainable, and consistently cheerful.
- German Shepherds – they are 22 to 26 inches, weighing about 55 to 95 pounds. This dog breed is energetic and fun-loving, plus, they are very fond of children once a relationship is established.
- Golden Retriever – they are about 21 to 24 inches and 55 to 75 pounds heavy. We all know golden rets are loveable and friendly whose also affectionate nature and fondness of children make them perfectly matched for families.
- Labrador Retriever – they are about 21 to 25 inches and weigh about 59 to 88 pounds. Labrador Retrievers are an ideal sporting and family dog.
- English Bulldogs – they are 12 to 16 inches long and weigh about 48 to 55 pounds. English Bulldogs are known to be excellent family pets because of their ability to form strong bonds with children.
- Boxers – they are around 21 to 25 inches and have a weight of 66 to 70 pounds. Boxers are patient and spirited with children but also protective, making them a good choice for families.
- Border Collies – they are about 18 to 22 inches long and are 26 to 45 pounds heavy. This high-drive breed is really energetic and requires a lot of attention.
- Chow Chow – they are about 18 to 22 inches long and have a weight of 44 to 70 pounds. Chow Chows are so affectionate and devoted to their family.
- Jack Russell Terrier – they are approximately 13 to 15 inches with 13 to 17 pounds. This dog breed is filled with energy and is outgoing and friendly.
- French Bulldogs – they are normally 12 inches long and 16 to 25 pounds heavy. French bulldogs are easy-care companions, playful, alert, and very affectionate.
- Collies – they are commonly 18 to 22 inches long that weigh from 27 to 45 pounds. Collies have devoted family dogs, especially with children.
- Rottweilers – they are about 22 to 27 inches and weigh 77 to 132 pounds. Rottweilers are protective of their territory and do not generally welcome strangers until properly introduced.
- Great Dane – they are about 28 to 34 inches with 99 to 198 pounds weight. Great Danes are known to be gentle and loving dispositions, so they are excellent family companions.
- Doberman Pinscher – they are about 24 to 28 inches long and weigh 59 to 90 pounds. The Doberman Pinscher breed is really energetic, watchful, fearless, and obedient.
- Saint Bernard – they are around 26 to 35 inches long with 110 to 200 pounds weight. The Saint Bernard dog breed makes wonderful family companions with obedience training.
- Standard Poodles – they are approximately 15 to 21 inches and are 45 to 70 pounds. The Standard Poodle is an active dog breed that requires daily exercise.
- English Shepherds – they are commonly 18 to 23 inches long and weigh about 39 to 61 pounds. English shepherds are energetic and intelligent breeds.
- Bernese Mountain Dogs – they are normally 23 to 28 inches long and are 79 to 110 pounds. They are gentle and easy-going, plus Bernese Mountain dogs need to be close to their hooman all the time!
- Basset Hound – this dog breed is about 11 to 15 inches long with 44 to 63 pounds weight. Basset Hound’s sweet and gentle disposition makes them great companions.
- Lakeland Terrier – they are 14.5 inches and weigh 17 pounds. This is an active dog breed that needs daily entertainment.
- Shetland Sheepdogs – their height ranges from 13 to 16 inches, and they weigh 14 to 27 pounds. Shelties love their families, but they can be really reserved at first with strangers.
To know more about dog sizes and dog growth, book a consult with a licensed PetPal vet today!